Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome
“Arthritis is probably the number one condition that people 65 or older contend with,”
“Old injuries from playing weekend warrior or high school football, and years of wearing high-heeled shoes catch up with us,”
Influenza and Pneumonia
Osteoporosis and Falls
Vision and Hearing Loss
Mental Health: Memory and Emotional Well-being – Depression
Substance Abuse (Alcohol and tobacco)
Old age, death, and frailty are linked because approximately half the deaths in old age are preceded by months or years of frailty
- Needing help with everyday activities
- Difficulty Swallowing
- Sleep Problems
- Difficulty walking or “gait problems”
- Pressure Ulcers
Essential Tremor (ET) is an uncontrollable shaking in a part of the upper body. It is more common in the elderly and symptoms worsen with age.
- Gait change
- Hair usually becomes thinner and grayer.
- Hearts are less efficient in old age with a resulting loss of stamina. In addition, atherosclerosis can constrict blood flow
- Less efficient immune function
- Skin loses elasticity, becomes drier, and more lined and wrinkled.
- Taste buds diminish
- Voice. In old age, vocal cords weaken and vibrate more slowly. This results in a weakened, breathy voice that is sometimes called an “old person’s voice.
Lack Of Energy